Whole class reading strategy
- All Academies will use the set texts provided.
- Texts will last for the term.
- This is a statutory session which is delivered daily.
- The session will be 40-45 minutes as a minimum (Children will also have an additional 20 minutes of reading a book at their own reading level to develop their decoding and fluency)
- All reading sessions will have a clear objective-link to NC and/or content domain.
- Sessions should follow the structure of pre-clarify, ‘reading three ways’, post-clarify. (See below) Session should also include modelling of answers.
- Pre clarifying of words happens so that the children can understand words, which are going to appear in the text, they are reading in context.
- Reading 3 ways can include teacher led, independent reading, sentence tennis, audiobooks.
- Post clarify happens when the children state words that they have not understood during reading that have not already been clarified.
- Teachers will differentiate accordingly and will consider the cognitive demand of the questions posed.
- Teachers will ensure questions are linked to domain type and layer to promote ‘depth’ in response where possible.
- Objectives and/or key questions will be posed prior to reading so that children have a ‘purpose’ to read and are active during reading sessions-not passive. Teachers will encourage text marking where possible or use of note taking on whiteboards/post-its.
- Teachers will facilitate opportunities for high quality discussion in pairs/groups.
- Marking and feedback should further develop the skill/s covered within the session and will be in line with Academy policy.
- Teachers will provide opportunities for ‘cold’ reading tasks where children can answer questions drawn from multiple content domains to apply their skills-this should be applied across the curriculum and to similar texts to those studied at least once per week.
- Teachers will plan for opportunities within the book to introduce poetry and non-fiction to ensure that children are receiving a broad, balanced reading diet
Academies may wish to timetable additional reading sessions to meet the needs of their pupils. These may include opportunities for:
- Speed reading.
- Test practice
- Decoding and phonics
- Cold comprehension tasks to inform future planning
- Direct vocabulary instruction
- Pre- reading
- Reading for pleasure